Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mythology

So for my English Final this year, I am doing my project on mythology. But, not just any mythology. Greek Mythology. A lot of people seem to confuse the Greek Mythology with that of the Roman's. Or they think that they are the same. Everyone's heard of Zeus' number one wife, right? How she was so jealous and out to catch him in his infidelity. Well, did you know that Juno and Hera are the same person? Juno is her Roman name, Hera is her Greek name. Anyways, enough with my babble. For one of my projects I have to make three alternative texts (art work, songs, blogs, etc. ) The latter of the three is what this whole post is about. I wrote a story, that I was going to post, about Aphrodite. She's my absolute favorite!! I hope you like it.

" My second cousin Aphrodite was the Greek goddess of love, beauty, fertility and desire, and was rumored to be the oldest of the twelve Olympian gods. (Hey, I wasn't about to ask her age...are you crazy?) If you thought Athena's birth was rather odd, springing as she did full-grown out of the head of Zeus, wait until you hear about how the proud, gorgeous (and often cruel) Aphrodite came to be!

Cronus was the son of the great god Uranus (Heaven, Sky) and Gaia (Mother Earth). I vaguely remember them, I was so young when they died...The stories I heard at grandpa Hesiod's knee say that as his children were born, nasty old Uranus went and imprisoned them so they wouldn't challenge his rule, causing Mother Earth great grief. You should never mess with Mother Earth, boys and girls...

With his mother's help (and a very sharp sickle!) Cronus ambushed his father and castrated him. Ouch! Hate when that happens...Cronus threw Uranus' severed parts into the sea, and a host of giants and nymphs arose from the water, including cousin Aphrodite.

Man, my cousin always knew how to make an appearance...Aphrodite ("Afros" is Greek for "foam of the sea") emerged naked from the foam and stepped ashore at Cyprus or Cythera, we're not sure. (People were so stunned at her beauty, they forgot where they were, the story goes.)

Incidentally, some say the goddess of desire's connection with water may be one reason seafood has been considered an aphrodisiac throughout the ages.

Grass and flowers sprang up wherever her feet touched the earth. The Seasons clothed, perfumed and covered her in jewels, and brought her before the Immortals.

It was the hottest ticket in town. "APHRODITE DEBUTANTE!" screamed the headlines of the Mount Olympus Chronicle. Gods and mortals alike were in a frenzy, getting their hair done and ordering spiffy new togas from Niko of Athens and Ermani of Patra for the coming-out ball.



That's the story of Aphrodite's birth according to grandpa Hesiod, circa 800BC. Uncle Homer, on the other hand, in the Iliad claims that she was the daughter of Zeus and Dione. Boring version, unc. Stick to the war stories, will ya?
From these two different origins, my philosopher cousin Plato (man was he cerebral, you asked him what time it was, he told you how to build a sundial...) identified two Aphrodites. One, the daughter of Uranus, also called Urania, was the noble goddess of pure love. The kind of girl you didn't mind sending a dozen roses to on impulse, dinner, candlelight, music, the works.

The other, the daughter of Dione, also called Pandemos, was the goddess of 'common' love. She could be a real *itch, if you know what I mean, pardon my Greek. (Hey, you want me to lie?) Conniving Aphrodite in her Pandemos persona broke up many a decent Hellenic home. My mailman Hermes tells me she's now taken up residence in a place called Washington, DC. I think it's near Hades.

So who to believe, gramps or unc? In this instance, I prefer grandpa Hesiod's version of Aphrodite's origin, it's so much more credible. Besides, grandpa Hesiod always told the neatest stories! Sometimes, though, I swear he was making stuff up just to amuse us kids.

And talk about a plum job! As a goddess, Aphrodite had only one divine duty: to make love and to inspire others to do so as well. Her primary function was to preside over reproduction, ensuring the survival of the community.

Hard work, but hey, someone's got to do it

No comments:

Post a Comment